About Our Team
The Advani Lab is committed to improving the lives of people with diabetes, now and in the future.
Even with recent advances in care, living with diabetes carries long-term health risks. These risks are called complications and they include eye disease, kidney disease, nerve disease, and heart disease.
Kidney disease due to diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. People with kidney disease are also much more likely to also suffer from heart disease. The Advani Lab researches the causes of kidney disease and heart disease. Through this research, we aim to develop new and better treatments for diabetes and its complications, reducing the burden of the condition on the millions of people affected.
Our fundamental research will take time before it can benefit the health of people living with diabetes. But we’re not willing to wait. While we are working on the discovery of new treatments, we are looking at ways to improve the lives of those with diabetes today.
Our focus is on improving the lives of young adults living with Type 1 diabetes. We are doing this through interview-based research, peer support, and educational videos, including our popular DiaBiteSize YouTube series.
Dr. Andrew Advani holds the Keenan Chair in Medicine at St. Michael’s Hospital and University of Toronto. He is Head of the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism at St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto. Dr. Advani is a member of the Advisory Board of Diabetologia, journal of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) and of the Guidelines Oversight Committee of the EASD
- B.Sc. (first class), Edinburgh University, UK;
- MBChB (with Honours), Edinburgh University, UK;
- PhD, Newcastle University, UK;
- FRCP (UK), Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, UK;
- FRCP (UK), Royal College of Physicians of London, UK;
- FASN, Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology;
- Associate Professor and Clinician Scientist, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Member, Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS)
- Member, Banting and Best Diabetes Centre
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Staff Physician, Division of Endocrinology, St. Michael’s Hospital
- Scientist in the Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science and Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institution of St. Michael’s Hospital